The retail environment has a significant impact on community health. Research suggests changing the retail environment can help prevent chronic disease. The following are resources on what you need to get started, how to conduct an assessment, and what to do with the information collected.
Tobacco companies now spend the vast majority of their advertising and promotional dollars at the point of sale (POS). POS promotions include exterior and interior tobacco advertisements, price discounts, product placement strategies, and incentives offered to retailers to increase in-store marketing. The tobacco industry spends an estimated $155.8 million in Wisconsin on marketing each year.
- Video: Counter Tobacco's "War in the Store: Why Retail Tobacco Control is Important"
- Presentation: Counter Tobacco's "Why Point of Sale Matters"
- ChangeLab Solutions' Point of Sale Playbook provides an overview of the "four P's of tobacco marketing: place, price, product, and promotion
Retail assessments provide you and your coalition with the opportunity to discover and document youth exposure to tobacco products in your community. Data collector training standards and tools to complete assessments are found below.
- WRAP (Wisconsin Retail Assessment Project) Guide
- WRAP Assessment Tool (2019 tool coming soon!)
- WRAP Tobacco Training Powerpoint (Data Collector Training)
- WRAP Alcohol and Food Training Powerpoint
- Store Audit Center FAQ
- Store Audit Center Manual
- STARS Assessment Tool
- STARS Training Powerpoint
- STARS Pocket Guide
Findings from retail assessments can be used in a variety of ways, including sharing highlights in earned media, and educating community members, local leaders, and state leaders during informational meetings, community forums, and personal meetings. The following are resources that can help you tell your retail environment story.
For More Information
If you have a question or would like more information about retail environments, please contact: