Clear Gains, Wisconsin’s smoke-free multi-unit housing initiative, promotes voluntary smoke-free policies in multi-unit housing across the state. Smoke-free housing is about saving property managers money and hassle, and providing residents with a healthier place to live.
Steps for Achieving Smoke-Free MUH Policies
This information helps coordinators prepare for work in smoke-free multi-unit housing (SFMUH). Where to begin depends on your local context. Contact your contract administrator or state SFMUH leads, Jaime Zach or Heather Sebero for help.
Preparing for Outreach
- MUH Assessment - Create a strategy for your location
- Housing Industry Talk the Talk - Understand the terms used in the housing industry
- Frequently Asked Questions - Be prepared for outreach
The presentation template and logo can be used in your material and presentations.
Six Guiding Principles
- Focus on decision makers Outreach and education is directed at decision makers such as property owners and managers to create the highest impact of residents affected.
- Business impact is leading message Smoke-free policies are profitable, popular, legal, and healthy. The health impacts of eliminating secondhand smoke are an important supporting message.
- Prohibit smoking, NOT smokers It needs to be very clear that smokers are still allowed to live in complexes with these policies.
- Voluntary, not regulatory policies Voluntary policies allow us to build a relationship with housing authorities and property managers in a positive fashion.
- Avoid tenant/property owner disputes Provide knowledge and resources and work to avoid disputes between parties.
- Public and private housing Ensure that both public and private housing are covered in outreach.
A lot of this work is meeting and presenting the benefits of smoke-free housing to property managers and owners. These resources can be used to prepare for and use in meetings and presentations.
Property Manager and Owner Resources
These materials are also housed on Clear Gains (www.wismokefreehousing.com)Education on the Benefits
- Clear Gains in Smoke-Free Housing Leave Behind
- Clear Gains Secondhand Smoke Health Risks
- Clear Gains Smoke-Free Policies are Legal Q&A
- Going Smoke-Free Step-by-Step (Step-by-Step Tools Packet)
- Going Smoke-Free Enforcement Tips (Enforcement Tips Tools Packet)
- Model Smoke-Free Lease Addendum
- Translated smoke-free lease addendums are available through Minnesota's Live Smoke-Free Initiative for Spanish, Hmong, Vietnamese, Somali, and Oromo
These materials are also housed on Clear Gains (www.wismokefreehousing.com)
Tools to Help Someone Quit Smoking
Videos Available for Outreach
Questions?Refer to the frequently asked questions of coordinators or contact your contract administrator or state SFMUH leads: